Wildwoods, a wildlife rehabilitation center in Duluth, Minn., has seen animal injuries of all kinds. One of the non-profit’s most recent cases of animal rehabilitation came in the form of America’s national bird. According to the Wildwoods Facebook page, two of the center’s staff members were on a walk with their dog Kenai when the dog spotted a bald eagle struggling in the snow.
The bald eagle was noticeably injured and freezing in the cold temperatures.
It took a couple of wildlife rescuers to eventually catch the eagle, which is when they noticed that the bird’s wings were clearly frozen and his body was chilled.
After corralling the bird into a small kennel, the staff took it to the rehabilitation center where it could get the help it needed.
According to the Wildwoods Facebook page, the rehabilitation center is familiar with encountering eagles who are suffering from lead poisoning, and the staff assumed that the eagle Kenai had lead poisoning, which harms the organs and causes the birds to have delayed responses.
Because of the immense harm caused by lead bullets, the non-profit urges hunters to use copper bullets instead.
The Wildwoods staff transfered the eagle to the Gabbert Raptor Center in St. Paul where it was confirmed to have lead poisoning in addition to having soft tissue damage in its left shoulder.
In a Facebook post, the Wildwoods staff explain that the eagle was in “fair condition” when assessed in St. Paul and that they remain hopeful for a full recovery.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”