Olivia, a young girl from Glasgow, was home with a fever one afternoon. She was sleeping on the couch while her mother was in another room. Suddenly, the family’s nine month old Labrador named Baxter began barking and growling. Like most pup parents, Baxter’s human (and Olivia’s mom), Amanda, told the dog to hush. But the Lab didn’t listen. He was determined to get his mom’s attention.
When Amanda came into the room to see what was going on, she saw that her daughter was having a seizure. To make matters worse, the little girl had rolled onto her stomach and was choking on her own vomit. Thanks to Baxter, Amanda was immediately able to get Olivia into a safe position.
If it wasn’t for Baxter alerting Amanda to Olivia’s seizure, the little girl would have choked to death. He saved her life.
Olivia’s seizure lasted six minutes – most seizures last 60 – 90 seconds. Olivia spent the night at the hospital, but her parents say that she is doing well now. While the little recuperates at home, Baxter refuses to leave her side, keeping vigil to make sure his best friend is safe.
Baxter and Olivia’s story reminds us of the deep bond that dogs have with their humans. They are selfless in their love for us and determined to always keep us safe. They take care of us as much as we take care of them.
It’s clear that this little Lab and his little human have a bond that will last a lifetime. High paws, Baxter!
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”