Dog Stealing Food From Stove Nearly Burns Down His Family’s Home

When a family’s sneaky dog tried to get food off the counter, he nearly burned down his family’s house! The pup inadvertently caused a near disaster and fire officials are telling pet owners to take note.

dog steals pancakes burns family's home

Recently the Southwick Fire Department in Massachusetts posted a video from a local homeowner who nearly lost everything because of their dog’s insatiable appetite.

The home security camera shows exactly what happened when the family dog enters the kitchen before hopping up to nibble on pancakes that had been left on top of the stove. In so doing, the pup accidentally ignited one of the gas burners, sparking a fire.

The home then begins to fill with smoke, while the guilty dog and her canine companion try to play it cool. Luckily, the house was equipped with a monitored alarm system, and first responders arrived quickly on the scene.

Fire Department Chief Russell Anderson said the dogs were not harmed during the incident. Anderson added that this is the only confirmed canine-caused blaze he’s personally run across: “There have been fires where we suspected it over the years, [but] this is the first that allowed us to prove it.”

Fire officials suggest a different measure be taken to avoid such incidents, writing online:

“If you have pets or young children in the home look into safety covers for your stove controls.”

If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”