We think of ourselves as the smartest animals on the planet – and we’re not wrong. But, that doesn’t mean other members of the animal kingdom can have bursts of genius too.
Here, people share stories of the most calculated thing they’ve ever seen an animal do.
1. We used to have two kittens. One day at the dinner table one of them stood up and put two paws on my dad’s lap. We all laughed at her obvious attempt at trying to steal food. While our attention was focused on her, her sister jumped straight onto the table and stole a whole chicken drumstick. They both sprinted away and shared it nearby.
We were all impressed.
2. I use to find dead mice in my dog’s water bowl. I couldn’t figure out why these stupid mice kept drowning themselves. Then, one day, I was watching my dog stalking a mouse on the back porch. She caught it in her teeth, brought it to the water bowl, and held it under water with her teeth until it drowned. Walked away like it was nothing.
Scariest thing I’ve ever seen.
3. There was crow who would drop walnuts on the road waiting for cars to run them over. It would then wait at the crosswalk with people for the light to change. When it would it would walk over and eat the broken walnut.
4. My dog once outsmarted me. He tricked me into getting up to let him out on a cold winter morning… only as soon as I turned the corner he jumped up into my warm spot in the bed, curled up tight, and then studiously ignored me when I came back in the room. That bonehead. Best dog ever.
5. I had a large lovable great dane, about 140 lbs. One day my husband, my sister in law, and I were sitting in the living room watching my 3 year old niece play with the dog on the floor. At one point my niece grabbed the dog’s stuffed toy and walked away with it. The dog got up and followed her to where she stood in the corner. So my niece is standing in the corner playing with the toy and facing the wall and my large dog is looming behind her looking over her shoulder at the toy in her hands. The dog turns back and looks at us grown ups on the couch, then looks back at the toy, then looks back at us, then back at the toy (story continued on the next page…).