When high school junior Stanley Jordan was on his way to class one morning, the sound of distressed barking distracted him. As a member of his school’s fire academy program, he followed his instincts and went to check it out. Sure enough, the doors were locked. The dogs appeared to be alone.
Jordan raced to the fire station to alert the firefighters on duty. Moments later, more than a dozen took action.
The 16 dogs pulled from the building suffered from smoke inhalation, many of which also require eye drops from the effects of the smoke and heat. It is unclear how long the pups were inside the burning home. With the help of several donated oxygen masks, rescuers saved nearly all the dogs, though a few still remain in critical condition — some even displayed neurological signs of cyanide poisoning. Unfortunately, one dog, two cats, and one bunny did not survive.
Homeowner Catherine Krzywicki, who was not home at the time of the fire, is a member of the Central Ohio Pomeranian Rescue, and she runs a foster shelter in her home for all sorts of rescue animals.
A close friend of Catherine’s says that “there were not any days that Catherine was not at the vet with a pet. A few even were at [the] OSU Veterinary Hospital in Columbus and she made the drive daily. One was at a cardiologist in Akron.” A true dog lover.
And of the dramatic scene that unraveled that day, Jordan remarked, “It was like everything that happened in the classroom became reality.” Well I know 16 dogs that are glad he’s part of the program, and many more whose lives might one day be saved because of it.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”